Space Australia Opportunities!
We're on the lookout for folks to join our team in addition to people who wish to contribute their words and expertise, to our growing community!
Are you looking for a gig associated with the Australian Space Industry? Or maybe you're looking for some writing and outreach opportunities? Well, look no further - because we're also looking for you to come and join our team!
Ok, first up ...
We are big believers in ensuring that the voices of our team resonate with all the voices out there in the Australian space community.
As such, we are HUGE believers in diversity and inclusion. Individuals from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
First of all, we are on the lookout for a number of people to join our team from across the country as reporters for the Space Australia.
We know that the Australian space community is not just located in one area - and in fact, it is spread across all of Australia's regional and metropolitan districts - so we're hiring for the following locations:
- 1 x SpaceAus Reporter to cover Victoria and Tasmania
- 1 x SpaceAus Reporter to cover South Australia and Western Australia ... JUST HIRED!
- 1 x SpaceAus Reporter to cover Queensland and Northern Territory ... JUST HIRED!
You'll be joining our team, who are already covering NSW, Canberra, South Australia, Western Australia, Queensland, Norther Territory and New Zealand.
As a SpaceAus Reporter, here's what you can expect to be doing:
- Writing a few articles per month
- Attending a space industry event and writing about it
- Collaborating with our team on new ideas and stories
- Help shape the future phases of our platform (we've got lots in the pipeline!) with your valuable input
- Communicating (meetings, conferences, forums) through online channels (e.g. Slack; Zoom; Trello)
We will, of course, provide you with training (Science Communication online course) and all the tools you need to get going.
Our team doesn't work as a typical hierarchical structure - there are no bosses here, just everyone on the same level continually collaborating and working towards benefiting everyone else.
These roles will suit graduates from the Astro or science communications fields, who are looking at getting into science reporting. Our only real requirement is that you need to have a passion for the Australian space community and want to commit to this role for at least a year.
You'll also need to have your own ABN and these roles are only open to Australian residents (sorry overseas folks!)
Whilst we are paying for these roles, the compensation is only small (as we are only starting up) but we hope to grow this as we also grow, in addition to the other benefits you will receive from working with us - such as public outreach and professional development.
Come join our team!
We're also on the hunt for the following folks to become regular contributors to our community-based platform:
- PhDs, Post-Docs, Professors, Associate Professors and Lecturers in space-related
- Historians and space-archaeologists
- Space and defence (space-related) industry commentators
- Commercial space company (from start-ups to existing)
- Scientists working in space and space-related STEM industries
- Established journalists looking to write about Australian space community
- Space community subject matter experts
You’ll need to ensure that you are an approved representative of your institution/workplace for our featured articles. However, we are also searching for op-ed writers.
This is Stage One for contributors. We will open up further opportunities as we grow in the very near future. This will include a range of mediums.
We want contributors to share their stories with the Australian space community in addition to becoming a regular name on our platform. We’ll also boost your articles through our networks (paid and organic) to reach wide audiences in the Australian space community.
You’ll also become a part of our story as we grow from a fresh, new platform into a well-established, trusted name across Australia.
But why write for Space Australia?
SpaceAustralia is the new kid on the block. We get that the Australian space community has many faces – and we want to represent all our many views, our different journeys, and all our varied voices
We’d love you to write for us Why? Well because:
- Some of these are paid gigs! (established and published writers will be paid for their articles; research outreach articles (e.g. new Ph.D.'s) are not paid but we will promote your work at no charge to you
- We have focused on the Australian space community as our users (with nearly two years of research) and we have tailored our site to ensure that their needs are front and centre
- We’re an independent media platform
- We provide you with an opportunity to help with your outreach – we’ll be promoting your work through our digital channels
- We provide you with data – you’ll get to see the results of your articles as we’ll provide the analytics data for your contributions. This is a great way to measure your outreach.
- We’ve got big plans coming up that allows for growth and opportunity for your voice to be heard across the Australian space community
- We’ve got several different templates to suit your writing – from in-depth articles to blog-style posts.
What's Our Story?
We’ve spent the last two years researching what the Australian space community wants as a platform – which has allowed us to build a user-centric website and given us a great long term strategy on rolling out new products for all your Aussie space needs! We want to be a one-stop-shop to find out all you need about our local space industry and plan to share the stories and voices as that industry starts to grow.
SpaceAustralia.com was founded by Rami Mandow (@CosmicRami on Twitter) currently in second year Masters of Astronomy (Astrophysics) with Swinburne University. Rami’s background is building websites, apps, social media, etc. for several agencies across NSW Government for the last 5 years, and beyond that a history in the digital space from the mid-2000s.
Our team includes tech folks, user-experience (UX) specialists, graphic designers, video producers, and correspondents across a couple of capital cities – and we’re growing! Check out the rest of the About Us section for more info.
Feel free to reach out and ask questions for more info on Twitter!